The Film Adi Shankaracharya

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Mon Jun 1 15:43:48 UTC 2009

Peter Wyzlic schreef:

> There is a German Ph.D. thesis on this film:
>
> Mangold, Sylvia: Ādi Śaṅkarācāryaḥ : G. V. Iyers Filmkommentar zur
> Religionsphilosophie Śaṅkaras. - Frankfurt am Main [et al.] : Lang,
> 1994. - XII, 248 p. - (Theion ; 4). - ISBN 3-631-47352-4
> Frankfurt (Main), Univ., Diss., 1993

- which is rather curious. When I visited Iyer in 1997, I found the book
on his bookshelf. He had not read it, since it was in German. I read a
few pages and found the remark that Iyer, though born an Advaitin, had
become a Dvaitin and made the Madhva film. When I translated those lines
to him, he heaved his shoulders slowly and remarked that scholars make
all sorts of marvellous discoveries, including biographical details
about him which he himself did not know about.

RZ

--
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Department fuer Asienstudien - Institut fuer Indologie und Tibetologie