Book "Deve" of Rgveda selections

Deshpande, Madhav mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Jul 30 20:57:04 UTC 2009

Hello Allen,

    This "DEVE" collection of mantras is reasonably popular among the Vaidikas and these mantras are used as general blessing.  They have been published in pothi form in old times by Nirnayasagara.  I have a printed copy, though I will have to hunt it down.  Best,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104-1608, USA
From: Indology [INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Allen W Thrasher [athr at LOC.GOV]
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:48 PM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Book "Deve" of Rgveda selections

Does anyone know anything about a tiny work entitled "Deve," which according to the NCC consists of RV verses ending in devAH?  LOC has a summer intern who is creating descriptive records for a number of our Sanskrit and Pali manuscripts from various romanized sources (more about this shortly when her project is complete).  LOC has two manuscripts of this work, whose content is indeed as  described in the NCC.  It is very short, only about 30 verses.  It has nothing to say about its application/Sitz im Leben/viniyoga.  Maybe a short way of worshipping all the gods? It seems to be a quite rare work, since NCC only mentions a few mss.  I do not locate any copies in WorldCAt.  A note I made some years ago says that Chaukhamba used to offer a printed version in its catalog.  Any comments gratefully received.

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
Senior Reference Librarian
Team Coordinator
South Asia Team, Asian Division
Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.