Etymologies of bali (Tam. pali), piNTa

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Jul 5 21:27:09 UTC 2009

Two of the more intriguing words in old Tamil are piNTam (Skt. piNTa)
and pali (Skt. bali, sacrifice).  It would be significant if both
these were borrowed from Sanskrit or Prakrit -- but it's difficult to
determine.  As I remember it, Mayrhofer does not have an IE etymology
for either.  PiNTam could belong in DED 4183 (Tam. pizi, squeeze,
piNTi, oilcake made of the residue of oil seeds, etc. in many
Dravidian languages).  Bali does not appear to have any plausible
Dravidian root.  I am wondering when these words appear in IA and what
their oldest usages are.  If they are not Dravidian, Tamil could have
borrowed them from a non-IE source at a very early time from which
Sanskrit also took them, or, of course, it could have borrowed them
from Sanskrit/Prakrit.  One similar word that old Tamil has borrowed
from Sanskrit/Prakrit, probably through the Buddhists or Jains, is
bhuuta (Tam. puutam), "ghost."  This word, curiously, appears in
several old Tamil names.  G. Hart