lalaj-jihva

Michael Slouber mjslouber at BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Jan 22 02:37:19 UTC 2009

Many early tantras describe lolling the tongue in various contexts.
The earliest may be the Picumata-Brahmayāmala (c.7th cent. CE) where
there is instruction for the practitioner to loll his tongue as part
of the ritual.  This comes up in at least half a dozen other tantras
too.  In the Kriyākālaguṇottara (pre-11th cent.), lolling the
tongue occurs in several contexts: an attribute of someone is
possessed by a Nāga, as an attribute of Khaḍgarāvaṇa (also in a
mantra to cause the piśācas to dance on his "lolajihva"), as an
attribute of Devatrāsa, and as an attribute of a bālagraha named
Tridaṇḍī.

Michael Slouber
PhD Candidate
South and Southeast Asian Studies