signature verses and cikacika?

Deshpande, Madhav mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Wed Feb 25 15:19:35 UTC 2009

The Skt word caikyacikya could possibly be related to what appears in Marathi as cakcakNe "to shine in a flashy way", the adj cakcakIt "polished, clean".

Madhav M. Deshpande

From: Indology [INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of franco at RZ.UNI-LEIPZIG.DE [franco at RZ.UNI-LEIPZIG.DE]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:49 AM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: signature verses and cikacika?

A footnote to the discussion on signature verses. There are also such
allusions in prose, for instance Aanandavardhana in Dhvanyaaloka
(towards the very end of the commentary on the first verse--also
identified as such by Abhinavagupta thereon: aananda iti ca
granthakrto naama).

I came across a most peculiar sounding word in
Pramaanavaarttikalankaara 334,7, which I can't find in the
dictionaries: caikyacikya. I assume it is derived from cikacika, and
it must desribe some color (or shape) (ruupa). Any idea anyone?

Quoting mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU: