signature verses and cikacika?

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at UBC.CA
Wed Feb 25 17:13:58 UTC 2009

Dear Eli,

In addition to the useful information supplied by Madhav, pl. note that,
with a slight variation, the word occurs also in other
philosophical/;saastric texts too, particularly where the phenomenon of
perceptual error is discussed (mother of pearl being mistaken for piece of
silver). Its usual form is caakacikya or caakacakya; cf. Hema-candra's
Kaavyaanu;saasana-cuu.daa-ma.ni-viveka on the verse snigdha-;syaamala
(Parikh-Dhruva edn p. 70. Enlarged Apte records an occurrence of caakacakya
in the Vedaanta-paribhaa.saa without giving a location precisely. Other
dictionaries may also be helpful if you vary the spelling as indicated.

ashok