Sanskrit for iphone

mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Dec 19 17:52:47 UTC 2009

I have recently noticed a range of ipod/iphone
products in Sanskrit. Of course, there is
great potential for development along these
lines. Here are a few initial notes on what's
on offer from the itunes application store:

Free download of the Bhagavad Gita, from Krishna
Varma, devanagari and English trans.
It's free -- check it out!

The Rig Veda in Sanskrit, from Credencys Solutions Inc.,
costs US $0.99
The complete Rig Veda in Devanagari and transliteration!
Unfortunately, it's not worth the 99cents they charge for
it. Mistakes, in both nagari and roman, abound
right from the words agnim ile... I want
my paisa back!

Patanjali Yog Sutra from Vaidik Living
US $4.99
The sutras in Skt and English. Evidently for
the new age yoga set. I decided to save
my five bucks.

Pocket Vedabase from Dancing Ganesh.
US $24.99
Relatively expensive for an iphone download,
but there's a lot here, in the A.C. Bhaktivedanta
Krishna Consciousness mode: roman skt. and trans.
of Bhagavad Gita, Srimad Bhagavatam, Caitanya Caritamrta
and more. I've not downloaded it myself, so there's nothing
else I can say.

If you search the itunes store under "Sanskrit" you'll
find more -- mostly devanagari tutors and stotras.

But I call this to everyone's attention because there
is the prospect here for fine teaching and reference
tools that one can carry in one's pocket.

Matthew T. Kapstein
Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies
The University of Chicago Divinity School

Directeur d'études
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris