Rtuvarnana

Toke L. Knudsen toke.knudsen at ONEONTA.EDU
Sat Dec 12 16:41:09 UTC 2009

Dear Venetia,

Inspired by Kālidāsa's Ṛtusaṃhāra, the Indian astronomers also
wrote poems describing the seasons.  See Bhāskara II's Ṛtuvarṇana
(part of the Siddhāntaśiromaṇi).  Jñānarāja gives a more
elaborate poem on the seasons in the Siddhāntasundara.

All  best wishes,
Toke

On Dec 11, 2009, at 6:46 AM, venetia ansell wrote:

> Could anyone direct me to interesting passages describing the
> seasons in
> Sanskrit poetry and any articles or books that have been written about
> 'rtu-varnana'?
> Thank you very much,
> Venetia

-----
Toke L. Knudsen, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Statistics
State University of New York, College at Oneonta
108 Ravine Parkway
Oneonta, NY 13820
USA