Follow up to Font/Print Problems

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Sat Aug 29 11:28:59 UTC 2009

Dear Colleague,

Please forgive this digression. Has there been any change in Unicode's Indian fonts? I am experiencing a new problem which is stated below.

System and hardware Windows XP in a Compaq PC installed 31.01.09

For Devnagari and diacritics Window supported i-LEAP Fonts

Problem

The retroflex sibilant is normally shown as À but often this is automatically changing to an underlined z without any effort on my part. This cannot be recovered as the retroflex sibilant. It just takes sometime to get back the desired letter.

Could anybody explain?
Best
DB
--- On Sat, 29/8/09, Richard MAHONEY <r.mahoney at INDICA-ET-BUDDHICA.ORG> wrote:

From: Richard MAHONEY <r.mahoney at INDICA-ET-BUDDHICA.ORG>
Subject: Re: Follow up to Font/Print Problems
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Saturday, 29 August, 2009, 8:07 AM

Hello Jarrod,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 07:47:19PM -0400, Jarrod L Whitaker wrote:
> I have narrowed the problem of spacing down to vocalic "r" and many
> (long) accented vowels (aa', uu', r.', etc.). The problem occurs when I
> type the characters with shortcut keys in Word 2007. My best guess is
> that somehow the documents I am working on have been changed in the
> Style sheet. Anyway, 50% of the time when I enter one of these
> characters I get too much of a space (e.g., "Rgveda " with vocalic "r"
> will look like "R gveda"; that is with too much a space). When I delete
> it and retype it, the word correctly displays. However I am having a
> hell of a time with "m" with chandrabindu. It just won't give up the
> space (e.g., in "mahaa' m." with final chandrabindu). Anyway, if anyone
> can help with both of these issues I would be eternally grateful. 1/
> Character spacing/typing issues; 2/ print spacing, losing characters.

Just a random thought -- though hopefully not completely off the mark
... is it possible that what you're seeing here has something to do
with unicode character normalisation, i.e., that r underdot, say, or a
macron &c. are being displayed by Vista in their `decomposed' form,
rather than as combining characters. For background on all this please
see:

Unicode Standard Annex #15 :: Unicode Normalization Forms
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr15/

And possibly:

Charlint - A Character Normalization Tool
http://www.w3.org/International/charlint/

Admittedly nothing more than a stab in the dark but ...

Kind regards,

Richard

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: http://indica-et-buddhica.org/
Littledene      | telephone/telefax (man.): +64 3 312 1699
OXFORD, NZ      | email: r.mahoney at indica-et-buddhica.org
Indica et Buddhica: Materials for Indology and Buddhology

      Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket.yahoo.com