QUERY> Identifying Pandita Manaviharala (Kragh)

Christian K. Wedemeyer wedemeyer at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Aug 25 19:13:11 UTC 2009

Hej, Ulrich! Går det godt med dej?

This is unscientific--and perhaps entirely anachronistic--but since
you are urgently in need, I figured I'd give it a go:

The end of the name, I would suggest, is more than likely Bihāralāla.
Nowadays, it would be pronounced Bihār Lāl.  "Lāl" is a pretty
common name, to this day. (Consider the early 17th century Hindi poet
Bihārī Lāl.)

The beginning is more difficult, perhaps. It could refer to a
particular vihāra (bāhāḥ), but I don't know of one by that name.
It is possible that it could be a vihāra founded by (a) Mānadeva,
which was known as "Mānavihāra." But, my hunch is that it is in fact
māna, but for another reason. Māna ("Mān" today) is also a commonly
occurring name in that region (e.g the contemporary Nepali politician
Gopal Man Shrestha [gopālamāna śreṣṭha]).

I'm not at all confident these names were current in the period you're
talking about (I don't see anything like it in the few inscriptions I
have to hand), but anyway, that's my hypothesis: Mānavihāralāla (or,
in a contemporary idiom, Mān Bihār Lāl).

Sorry to say I have no idea who he was.

Med venlig hilsen,

Christian

--
Christian K. Wedemeyer
Assistant Professor of the History of Religions