pramanas

petra kieffer-Pülz kiepue at T-ONLINE.DE
Wed Apr 22 10:29:17 UTC 2009

Dear All,

thanks to all who commented on the pramanas till now.

The terms are in Pali (I only gave the Skt. terms for convenience),
the expression is paccakkhānumānasaddatthāpattippabhedassa
pamāṇacatukassāpariccāgī, and it is to be found in Vajirabuddhi|
s Vajirabuddhiṭīkā (Chaṭṭhasaṅgāyana edition 3,22-23), i.e.
in an undated  subcommentary on the Vinaya.
	Vajirabuddhi here comments on the expression catukkam apariccāgī,
which forms part of a verse given by him in the very beginning of the
text, and characterizing a vattā (vaktṛ). In Pali this verse to my
knowledge is documented only a second time in the 9th century
Mahāniddesa-Aṭṭhakathā, and only these two texts comment on it.
The Vajirabuddhiṭīkā gives three explanations, one of wich is the
pramāṇa-tetrad. The Nidd-a has two identical explanations, only the
pramāṇa-tetrad is missing.

The mentioning of four pramāṇas is certainely conditioned by the
catukkaṃ of the verse. However, I thought it highly unlikely that
the author invented this list, and I hoped it would throw some light
on his background and perhaps time (between 9th and 12th century),
who possibly enjoyed a Sanskrit education, perhaps in South India.

Petra

Dr. Petra Kieffer-Pülz
Wilhelm-Külz-Str. 2
99423 Weimar