Zeitschriften der DMG digital

Richard MAHONEY r.mahoney at INDICA-ET-BUDDHICA.ORG
Mon Apr 20 20:29:08 UTC 2009

Dear Steven,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:11:11AM -0500, Steven Lindquist wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Roland Steiner wrote:
>
>> Dear Jonathan (and interested others),
>>
>> According to Dr. Lutz Wiederhold (Universitäts- und
>> Landesbibliothek Sachsen-Anhalt in Halle), full text search and
>> download of complete articles as PDF files (free resource) will be
>> implemented within the next weeks, which, I've been told, was
>> planned so right from the beginning.
>>
>> Best,
>> Roland

> This is great news!  (I am surprised, though, that this was not part
> of the announcement, especially if it was planned from the
> beginning).  I have always been a supporter of Open Access, but I
> admit that I am more skeptical than some when it comes to how
> broadly I think it can/should work.
>
> My best,
>
> Steven

For many -- and in my opinion rightly -- the formula is simple:
`publicly-funded research should be publicly-available', period. A
good amount of attention has been devoted to this issue of late. This
link may be helpful:

 The European University Association recommendations on Open Access
 http://tinyurl.com/d22vqj

And also the list of material on this page:

 European Open Scholar: What is EnablingOpenScholarship?
 http://www.openscholarship.org/jcms/j_6/home

Best regards,

 Richard

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: http://indica-et-buddhica.org/
Littledene      | telephone/telefax (man.): +64 3 312 1699
OXFORD, NZ      | email: r.mahoney at indica-et-buddhica.org