rAjahaMsa in the ha?sasa?des ´a

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at MACUNLIMITED.NET
Mon Apr 20 06:18:34 UTC 2009

There are haMsas in the Dhammapada (91, 175), and the equivalent
verses in the Patna Dharmapada (231, 232) and Udanavarga (17.1,
17.2); also their path in Uv. 12.12. The DhammapadaTThakathA (c. 5th
century CE) on Dhp 91explains that, when the birds are leaving a
pond, they don't think, 'This is my water, my lotus, my water-lily,
my pericarp': they just go.

Valerie J Roebuck