Endowments for Vedic studies in the Karandai plates (Re: "kaapya-" vs. "kaapeya-" (Re: Actual use of gotra (=vr.ddha) and yuvan

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Wed Apr 15 11:24:24 UTC 2009

Dear Arlo,

I cannot answer your question regarding Atharvavedic brahmins
because what I find in the 1984 Karandai plates volume is:

-- a list of 1083 brahmins to whom lands where distributed (for creating
an /agrahāra/). For each brahmin receiving a share, the grant records
his gotra, his sūtra, his place of birth and his name. The grant was
made during the 8th year of the king's reign (supposed to have started
in 1012 A.D.)

-- a description of the endowments for Vedic studies: on that occasion
Atharva veda is mentionned but specific individuals are not mentionned.
(See below).

K.G. Krishnan, the editor, describes the endowment in the following way
(p.63):

<Begin Quote>
Endowments for Vedic studies were also made in the following manner: for
Mīmāṁsa - 5 /vēli/, for Vēdanta - 5 /vēli/ and for Vyākaraṇa - 4 /vēli/
-- these three are described as /bhaṭṭavṛitti/. The following described
as /kiḍaippuṟam/ (/ghaṭikaippuṟam/) get each 2 /vēli/: 1) Paviḻiyam, 2)
Taittiriyam 3) Vājasanēyam, 4) Chandōgam (Chhandōgam), 5) Atharvam, 6)
Talavakāram and 7) Rūpāvatāram. Paviḻiyam derived from Bahvṛicha stands
for Ṛigvēda.Taittirīyam and Vājasanēyam represent respectively the
Kṛishṇa and Śukla Yajurvēda. Chhandōgam and Talavakāram are of Sāmavēda.
Rūpāvatāra is a work on grammar stated to have been composed by
Bhaṭṭanārāyaṇa and Dharmakīrti [FOOTNOTE: /History of Sanskrit
Literature/ (M. Krishnamachariar), p. 733, note 8] Two /vēli/ of land
were assigned to the person teaching the recital of /Smṛitimūla-grantha/
and to the person reciting Bhāratam.

<End Quote>

I hope this is useful

Best wishes