Tolkaappiyam & Tolkaappiyan2 (Re: "kaapya-" vs. "kaapeya-" (Re: Actual use of gotra (=vr.ddha) and yuvan

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Tue Apr 14 15:14:29 UTC 2009

Dear Jan,

thanks for you stimulating and thoughtful feedback:
(<http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0904&L=indology&D=1&O=D&F=P&P=7929>)

Commenting only on your "remarque liminaire" [SEE BELOW],
I wish to provide more detail on the situation.

*(A)*
Occurences of the word /kāppiyam/, where it is an adaptation to Tamil of
the Sanskrit word /kāvya/ are met with in Tamil. Nobody denies that.

An obvious example is the expression /aim-peruṅ-kāppiyam/ ("the five big
kāppiyam") which certainly emulates the Sanskrit list(s) of 5 /mahākāvya/-s

That expression is for instance seen inside the commentary by
Mayilainātar (13th cent.) to Naṉṉūl 387, inside the enumeration:
"aimperuṅkāppiyam, eṇperuttokai, pattuppāṭṭu, patiṉeṇkīḻkkaṇakku"
which lists, after the 5 big K., the 8 anthologies, the 10 songs and the
18 minor works.

The earliest attestation of /kāppiyam/ (= /kāvya/) in Tamil literature
might be inside the Maṇimēkalai (19:80).

*(B)*
Occurrences of the word /kāppiyaṉ/, which is the adaptation to Tamil of
the Sanskrit /kāpya/, which belongs to the gotra-related vocabulary and
which is derived from /kapi/ (as per the discussion which has just taken
place) are also found.

For the recent discussion, see
<http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0904&L=indology&D=1&O=D&F=P&P=6075>

For an instance (and its interpretation), see the page 172, and the
entry /kāppiyan/ inside the
/Tamiḻk Kalveṭṭuc Collakarāti/ [Glossary of Tamil Inscriptions],
compiled by Professor Y. Subbarayalu
[2 volumes, Santhi Sadhana Trust, Chennai, 2002]

In that glossary, Professor Subbarayalu explains /kāppiyan/ as /kāppiya
kōttirattaic cērntavaṉ/ ("one who belongs to the gotra /kāppiya/") and
gives as an illustration an inscription dated 941, which is precisely
the one mentionned by S. Palaniappan in the discussion, and which I have
reproduced in the following post:

<http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0904&L=indology&D=1&O=D&F=P&P=6668>

*(C)*
The problems starts when one wants to explain the name of the
grammatical work called /tolkāppiyam/.

The traditional view, expressed in all commentaries is that the name of
the book /tolkāppiyam/ is derived from the name of its author
/tolkāppiyaṉ/ (honorific: /tolkāppiyaṉār/ ).

As a matter of fact, what also happens is that commentaries often
contain a section that explains how books are named and that that
derivation is given as one among several examples (just like the grammar
/Akattiyam/ is said to derive its name from its author /Akattiyaṉ(ār)/).

On top of that explanation, the name /tolkāppiyaṉ/ (honorific:
/tolkāppiyaṉār/ ) is explained as "born in the /kāppiyak kuṭi/" (See
Madras Tamil Lexicon, p. 2098), where /kuṭi/ is the Tamil equivalent of
/gotra/.

One point which remains to be explained is why the component /tol/ is
added and this was one of my reasons for trying to understand the inner
workings of the opposition /vṛddha/ vs. /yuvan/. And I am aware that my
explanation is tentative.
[Subsidiary question: what does the "pal" component mean inside the name
"pal-kāppiyaṉ" (another grammarian)?]

*(D)*
As for the "alternative theory", it is found for instance in the section
written by Pierre Meile inside L'Inde Classique (1953, Tome II, § 1904)
where he mentions
"le traité didactique intitulé le « Vieux Poème », /Tolkāppiyam/" and
where he sends the reader to the paragraph §1539.

Inside the /Lexicon of Tamil Literature/ (1995), Kamil Zvelebil writes
(on pages 705-706):

<BEGIN QUOTE>
The name /tol-kāppiyam/ prob. means "ancient composition" (i.e. DEDR
3516 old, ancient + /kāppiyam/ < Skt. /kāvya-). This etymology is not
waterproof, and other interpretations were suggested [...] The author's
name, Tolkāppiyaṉ/ Tolkāppiyar/ Tolkāppiyaṉār is evidently derived from
the name of the book, although different interpretation is possible:
"the ancient (/tol/) scion of the Kāvyas', i.e. members of the /gotra/
of Kavi (cf. /kāppiyakkuṭi/ in --> /Cilappatikāram/ XXX.83 /kāppiya-t
tolkuṭi/, ancient Brahmin family of Kāvya /gotra/ in Tōrūr [...]

<END QUOTE>

Although I admire the work of the late Professor Zvelebil, I would have
presented the data in the opposite order.

*(E)*
I suppose the explanation to the confusion is that, as soon as the word
/kāppiyam/, (adaptation of /kāvya/) became current, it became impossible
not to think of it while referring to somebody who had the /kāppiyaṉ/
(derived from gotra "kapi") component in his name. The semantic
attraction produced a kind of "popular etymology".

Best wishes

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard