amitabha

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Tue Apr 14 12:38:53 UTC 2009

Am Dienstag, den 14.04.2009, 09:32 +0200 schrieb petra kieffer-Pülz:
> I am looking for literature on Amitabha in Central Asia (in the
> widest sense). I would be grateful for any reference.

There is on-going work on the so-called "Abitaki" fragments, an Amitabha
text in Old Turkish (Uyghur). Here is a small list of some articles and
books:

Ahmet Temir, Kogi Kudara, Klaus Röhrborn: Die alttürkischen
Abitaki-Fragmente des Etnografya Müzesi, Ankara. In: Turcica 16 (1984),
p. 13-28

Osman F. Sertkaya, Klaus Röhrborn: Bruchstücke der alttürkischen
Amitabha-Literatur aus Istanbul. In: Ural-Altaische Jahrbücher N.F. 4
(1984), p. 97-117

Geng Shimin (耿世民): Study of Two Folios of the Uighur Text "Abitaki".
In: Acta Orientalia [Budapest] 57 (2004), p. 105-113

Geng Shimin: Study of Another Two Folios of the Uighur Text "Abitaki".
In: Acta Orientalia [Budapest] 59 (2006), p. 47-56

Geng Shimin: Study on the Uighur Text Abitaki (3). In: Aspects of
research into Central Asian Buddhism : in memoriam Kogi Kudara / Peter
Zieme (ed.). - Turnhout : Brepols, 2008, p. ?-?

Geng Shimin has also published a series of publications on this text in
Chinese.

Recently, a Russian edition and translation came out [the title is given
here in a German transcription of the cyrillic characters]:
Tuguševa, L. Ju.: Sutra Obščiny belogo lotosa : tjurkskaja versija /
faksimile rukopisi, transkripcija teksta, perevod s rannesrednevekovogo
tjurkskogo jazyka, predislovie, primečanija, ukazatelʹ slov L. Ju.
Tuguševoj. - Moskva : Izdat. Firma "Vostočnaja Literatura" RAN, 2008. -
206 p. - (Pamjatniki pisʹmennosti Vostoka ; 127)
Uniform title: Yürüng lenhua čäčäk tergini nom ärdini <Old Turkish,
Russian>
ISBN 978-5-02-036332-8
[The precious sutra of the White Lotus Society]

If I am not altogether wrong, Peter Zieme (Berlin) has announced a
monograph on the fragments, too.

Hope it helps
Peter Wyzlic

--
Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften
Abteilung für Indologie