What happened when Brahmins became native Tamil speakers? (Re: "kaapya-" ...

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Sun Apr 12 21:15:30 UTC 2009

Dear SP,

I agree that the fact that inscriptions use "n" or "ṉ" is not a
significant issue. I just mentionned it for the sake of completion;

Regarding your two earlier posts (the first one dated 14 Aug 1999 and
the second one dated 10 Aug 2006),
they contain indeed a lot of interesting data, some of which seems to be
interpretable using the "vṛddha vs. yuvan" distinction which was evoked
at the beginning of the thread and commented upon by Professor Cardona:
in
<http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0904&L=indology&D=1&O=D&F=P&P=4372>.

You write (in your 1999 post [converted to Unicode, hopefully without
mistakes])

<BEGIN QUOTE: SP: Aug 1999>
There are three Classical Tamil poets from Madurai with the following
names: pālāciriyar nappālaṉār, pālāciriyar naṟṟāmaṉār, pālāciriyaṉ
cēntaṉ koṟṟaṉār

Regarding each of these U. V. Saminataiyar  suggests they were probably
teachers of children, based on Ta. pāla < Skt. bāla (caṅkakālap
pulavarkaḷ, p.342-3). The Tamil Lexicon also interprets it in the same
manner.

However, a study of Tamil inscriptions reveals that pālāciriyaṉ is a
variant of Tamilized pārāśarya, ie., one who belonged to the lineage of
parāśara/śrī.

An inscription, SII vol. 17, no. 598, of the period of Kulottunga Chola
II (12 th century) gives three variants of the same name as:
pārāciriaṉ, pārāśrīaṉ, pālāśrīaṉ

When considered along with other names in the inscription, it is obvious
that it is a gotra name. There are other inscriptions which give the
variant pālāciriaṉ. Another inscription gives the variant pārācarian.

This will help us correctly interpret the name of another CT poet
"maturai iḷampālāciriyaṉ cēntaṉ kūttaṉār". UVS intreprets the name as
teacher cēntaṉ kūttaṉ who was originally from the place called iḷampāl
and later
settled in Madurai. The correct interpretation should be, "cēntaṉ
kūttaṉ, the young  one of the lineage of parāśara/śrī".

We have other poets with part of the names derived from gotra names such as:

maturai iḷaṅkaucikaṉār (kauśika) ,

ko/ōṭimaṅkalam vātuḷi naṟcēntaṉār (vādhūla) ,

kācipaṉ kīraṉār (kāśyapa) ,

kaṭampaṉūrc cāṇṭiliyaṉār (śāṇḍilya),

taṅkāl āttirēyaṉ ceṅkaṇṇaṉār (ātreya)

Similarly, CT poet kōṉāṭṭu eṟiccilūr māṭalaṉ maturaikkkumaraṉār and
māṭala maṟaiyōṉ of Cilappatikāram were brahmins of the māḍala gotra
which is one of the gotras listed by Chitralekha Gupta in "The Brahmanas
of India., 1983, p.117. Similarly, tolkāppiyaṉ probably belonged to
kāpi/kāpya gotra. Both māṭalaṉ and kāppiyaṉ occur in inscriptions.

<END QUOTE: SP: Aug 1999>

Do I understand you correctly if I say that you think that the "vṛddha
vs. yuvan" distinction (i.e. "gārgya" vs. "gārgyāyaṇa"), could be
expressed in Tamil, AT LEAST in the cases WHEN it was felt NECESSARY, by
making use of /tol/ ("ancient, senior") and /iḷam/ ("young, junior")
components of the long names.

In that case, the forms you quote, /iḷampālāciriyaṉ/ and
/iḷaṅkaucikaṉār/ are the Tamil equivalent of /yuvan/ forms.

Similarly, /tolkāppiyaṉ/ could be the Tamil equivalent of a /vṛddha/ form.

Is this what you mean?

Best wishes

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard