Fwd: Translations into Sanskrit

Sven Sellmer sellmers at GMX.DE
Wed Apr 8 13:09:07 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,

first of all I would like to thank all of you very much for your
overwhelming reaction to my litte query!

It seems the oldest serious candidate that came up was the

"/YavanajAtaka/ of Sphujidhvaja. It was written in the third century
CE. It is purportedly a versified version of a prose translation of a
Greek text on astrology composed in Hellenistic Egypt. According to
David Pingree, the prose translation was carried out by Yavanezvara in
the second century CE during the reign of the Saka ruler Rudradaman I
of Ujjain."  (Luis González-Reimann)

I have prepared a small rtf document in which I have copied
bibliographical hints that appeared in the discussion, arranged
according to the source languages. (Because I am mainly interested in
earlier periods I have included mainly pre-19th century translations,
but a long and very interesting list of later material can be found in
Klaus Karttunen's post.) I had neither time nor opportunity to check
the bibliographical data, still the list may be useful as a starting
point for further research. Unfortunately, for technical reasons I
cannot simply attach it, so if you would like to receive it, please
contact me off list.

Best wishes,
Sven Sellmer

Dr. Sven Sellmer