AW: Request for help with manuscript

Gruenendahl, Reinhold gruenen at SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Mon Sep 29 08:19:06 UTC 2008

Here is a summary of comments, via list and private, on the drawings:

- The ms. was probably designed as a leporello. After its assumed
disintegration the loose leaves seem to have been stitched together at both
ends (best visible on some of the scans I didn't upload), with occasional
confusion of sequence.
- It is probably a sketch book that served as a model for artistic / ritual
drawings.
- Similar designs can be found, e.g., in the Kubyauk-gyi at Myinkaba in Pagan
(see Claudine Bautze-Picron, "Buddhist Murals of Pagan", Bangkok 2003, pls
184 & 185. Pl. 185 [not available to me at present]).
- The Bujimol script indicates Nepalese (or North-east Indian?) origin.
- Consequently, allowance has to be made with regard to spelling, beyond the
most obvious deviations (e.g., "vada" for "vadha").

Many thanks to all contributors!

I have to admit that I'm still puzzled by these drawings. To give one further
example:

http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/temp/1_06.jpg

"Naadasi.mhavada.h" probably stands for "Narasi.mhavadha.h", as suggested by
the attributes of the loosing party: lion's head, gadaa, cakra. But who is
the beak-faced figure that is about to tear Narasimha apart? What is known
about an assault on Narasimha? And what to make of the erotic aspects of some
of the drawings?

Help much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance
Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Goettingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83

gruenen at sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm

GRETIL e-library:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gr_elib.htm