River Ulhas

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 15 17:49:10 UTC 2008

ulhaasa is a Skt word itself. The spelling Ulhas is simply according to the
Marathi pronunciation. In Nagari writing, the word is indistinguishable from
its Skt form.

Many cities and rivers of India have auspicious/appropriate and
aesthetically pleasant names (cities: Srinagar, Ujjayini; rivers
Brahma-putra, K.sipraa, Mahaanadii etc.). Ulhaasa/Ulhas is one of them.

I do not know what the oldest attestation of the name is. However, I see no
reason to suspect that it has come as a replacement for some other name.

a.a.