Drum Example

Arlo Griffiths arlo.griffiths at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Sat Oct 25 12:10:28 UTC 2008

The ritual tradition of the Atharvaveda makes use of a fundamental
trifurcation in all rituals, between

1) an invariable first phase called puurvatantra
2) a variable phase comporting a specific homa
3) an invariable final phase called UTTARATANTRA

See the scheme on pp. VI-VII of Caland's Altindische Zauberritual.
The scheme is already implied in the oldest ritual Suutra of this
tradition, the Kau;sikasuutra, which is likely to be older than the
mentioned medical texts, but in this meaning the word uttaratantra
itself apparently first occurs in a few Atharvavedapari;si.s.tas
(which are very hard to date but almost certainly, for the most part,
too late to be relevant for Stephen Hodge's Buddhist texts).

If you take a representative batch of e-texts from GRETIL, make sure
to include "Kausikapaddhati, by Kesava" in it, and then do a multi-
file search for "ttaratantr", it will become evident how important
this term is in Atharvavedic ritualism (other Atharvavedic paddhati's
give similarly high numbers of occurrences).

Arlo Griffiths

On Oct 25, 2008, at 1:30 PM, G.J. Meulenbeld wrote:

> Dear colleague,
>
> Apart from the Uttaratantra of the Susrutasamhita, a
> Carakottaratantra is known from
> quotations.
> See on it my "A history of Indian medical literature" IA, 99--100.
>
> Jan Meulenbeld
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Hodge"
> <s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.PLUS.COM>

Arlo Griffiths
École française d'Extrême-Orient (Jakarta)
Instituut Kern, Universiteit Leiden