Drum Example

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.PLUS.COM
Thu Oct 23 23:52:45 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I have come across a rather odd example, used in at least three texts to my
knowledge (Mahābherikāhara-sūtra, Śuraṃgama-samādhi-sūtra and
Mahā-parinirvāṇa-sūtra). With slight variances, the basic outline of the
example is that there exists an extremely potent drug which is smeared on
the tops of drums. Then, when these drums are beaten, arrows and so forth
spontaneously extract themselves from wounds suffered in battles, even at a
considerable distance. My query is i) has anybody come across this same
example elsewhere in Buddhist materials, and ii) is it known in the wider
Indian literature ? It seems such an implausible feat, I would like to know
if there is any detailed story concerning this anywhere.
Best wishes,

Stephen Hodge