sati

Benjamin Fleming fleming_b4 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 23 22:31:43 UTC 2008

Dear Tracy Coleman,

The specific myth-tradition about this with which I am familiar
comes out of Saivite puranic material, in association with the
destruction of Daksa's sacrifice cycle. The Rudra Samhita of the
Siva Purana tradition, for example, in its second khanda, is
entirely dedicated to the goddess Sati. One verse (Rudra Samhita
2.30.15) for example says:

vadatyevaM jane satyA dRSTvA 'sutyAgam adbhutam /
drutaM tat pArSadAH krodhAdudatiSTanndAyudhAH//15

"asutyAga" is found in Monier Williams as "giving up one's life" and
sites the Bhagavata Purana as its source (although w/o a reference).

There is a translation of this verse (and the entire khanda) in the
Ancient Indian Tradition & Mythology series (Siva Purana Vol. 1: see
page 416). That translation reads:

> When people were saying thus on seeing the self-immolation of SatI,
> her attendants rose up in anger with their weapons.

There are numerous other references to her burning her body in that
chapter also, performing preparatory rites, and so forth. At no time
is satI used as a verb but presumably there is an identification
with the goddess in this story by real-life practitioners.

The Rudra Samhita is one of the later parts of the Siva Purana
tradition, maybe 14th century, though difficult to date easily. This
may well be building on earlier traditions as the story is fairly
widespread as far as I know, although I have never done a study of
the tradition myself.

Best,

BF