sati

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Oct 23 21:22:42 UTC 2008

It is perhaps worth remarking that the practice of suttee appears to
be very old in South India.  There are poems in the Purananuru (1-3
Cent CE) suggesting that a wife would take her own life (it is not
specified how) and then her bones would join those of her husband in a
pot.  Pots have been found dating to the first millennium BC that
contain the bones of more than one person -- though as far as I know
no one has looked to see if they evidence suttee.  There are two poems
describing a widow going into a fire -- an event that came to be
called tii kuLittal, "bathing in fire."  As far as I know, there is no
word generally used in Tamil for such women, and I am not sure satii
is used commonly in Sanskrit either.  George Hart