Prav ṛtti/nivṛtti: publications and fol d-out chart

Elizabeth De Michelis elizabeth.demichelis at ORIEL.OX.AC.UK
Wed Oct 22 13:06:53 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I am doing some work on the concepts of pravṛtti and nivṛtti.
Would any of you be able to recommend good discussions on this topic,
wether primary or secondary sources? I am aware of Greg Bailey 1985
publication (_Materials for the Study of Ancient Indian Ideologies:
Pravṛtti and Nivṛtti_), and of M.A. Yamunacharya 1950 publication
('The ethics of pravṛtti and nivṛtti'), but not much else.

Also, many years ago I photocopied a fold-out chart (looking a bit
like a genealogical or mss 'tree') of pravṛtti/nivṛtti activities
from a book - if I remember correctly - by a (male) Indian scholar.
After a number of office moves, however, I don't seem to be able to
find it again (though I am sure it must be somewhere). Would anyone
be able to tell me which was the publication I originally got it
from? I cannot even remember what the book was about - I'm pretty
sure it wasn't Pravṛtti/nivṛtti as such; possibly some dharma-
related topic, or maybe just a general overview of Hinduism / some
major Indic topic (Vedanta?).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Best regards

Elizabeth De Michelis