Will in Sanskrit

Alfred Collins acollins at GCI.NET
Sun May 11 12:19:44 UTC 2008

Or iccha in Saivism/tantra (the only sakti of Siva left at the level of the coagulated world we inhabit). And buddhi, as discussed by van Buitenen in his article on the vidyadhara, and by G. Larson in the Encyclopedia volume on Samkhya where he defines buddhi as "intellect/will."

In both cases, I think it could be argued, "will" is the one faculty that gives us the possibility of turning the tide of samsara/duhkha (using these terms loosely) and moving toward enlightenment.

Al Collins