Will in Sanskrit

Prof. Dr. Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Fri May 9 07:51:44 UTC 2008

Valerie J Roebuck schreef:
> In the UpaniSads, saMkalpa is used in something like this sense.
> Etymologically it  means something like 'the power of the mind to
> shape (kLp-) [its surroundings according to its wishes]'. See
> ChAndogya Book VII, especially VII.4.

In medieval ritualistic literature I know sa.mkalpa as the term for a
vow, i.e., a decision, the result of an act of will.

For "will-power" I have often seen the term icchaa;sakti used
("wish-energy"), e.g., in Saiva tantric literature from south India.

RZ

--
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Department fuer Asienstudien - Institut fuer Indologie und Tibetologie