Mahabhasya now available in Intratext version

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 6 12:49:50 UTC 2008

Dear Dominik,
  This looks like a great new tool for Paninian studies.
  I found that some texts can be downloaded from Intratext. Does this also apply to the Intratext Mahabhasya?
  What do the P and R *exactly* stand for? For instance, when I click 1.1, I get a few lines the last of which, on my screen, is:

  (P 1) P I.1.1 - 5  R I.1 - 4 {10/10} agne ayâhi vîtaye iti

  Apparently, sandhi has been undone, but the a- of aayaahi should have been long.
  Since this is the Paspa;saahnika, I assume P I.1.1 does not mean that it is the Mahabhasya on Paa.nini's I.1.1 v.rddhir aadaic. So P is not Paa.nini but what does it mean? Probably P and R refer to some edition, but which ones?
  Best,
  Jan

Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK> wrote:
  Thanks to the staff and funding at the intratext.com project, and to the
original data-analysis and data-entry project under Prof. Cardona, the
Mahabhasya of Patanjali is now available with the Intratext coding:

http://www.intratext.com/ixt/san0011/_INDEX.HTM

This makes the generation of KWIC indexes trivially easy, as well as
providing various statistical and lexical analyses of the text.

Best,
--
Prof. Dominik Wujastyk
Visiting Associate Professor (Spring Semester '08)

  Prof. Dr. Jan E.M. Houben,
Directeur d Etudes
Chaire: Sources et Histoire de la Tradition Sanskrite
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, SHP
A la Sorbonne,45-47, rue des Ecoles,
75005 Paris -- France.
JEMHouben at gmail.com