Dating Old Tamil Cankam poetry

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Jul 31 14:34:07 UTC 2008

Dear Professor Tieken,

I did react before reading your book, as the its conclusions seemed so
strange to me.  I must say, after reading it and going very carefully
over every page, that impression has only grown stronger.  I am
currently working through the Akananuru, and I find evidence
everywhere that the dating of the first 3 centuries CE is correct.  I
don't think this is the place to go over all the arguments once again
-- but here are a few that seem relevant.

1. The number and use of Sanskrit/Prakrit borrowings is quite
different from texts that are later (like the Cilappatikaaram, roughly
5th century AD).

2. The use of language and its form is clearly more archaic than in
slightly later texts.

3. The culture described is exactly what we would expect from
archeological work done on that period.

4. The chronology of the poets and kings is internally consistent --
this includes thousands of names.  This could not have been remembered
for many centuries so accurately.

5. The names are different from later texts and inscriptions -- they
are clearly older and belong to an older stratum.

6. The description of Muciri accords perfectly with archeological
finds and Roman texts from the first three centuries CE -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muziris
.

7. In order to date Sangam texts in the 10th century, we would have to
move all of Tamil literature up by at least 7 centuries (and this
includes dozens of texts whose dates have been carefully researched),
at least everything before Kamban.  This would be a feat of
legerdemain that would be equivalent to dating the Rig Veda in the 3rd
century BCE.  That, of course, would mess up our Sanskrit chronology
somewhat -- could the Rig Veda be an elaborate and ingenious forgery
that was made to elevate the status of the Brahmins?

8. In working through the Akananuru, it is immediately apparent that
poems attributed to different poets (ParaNar and Kapilar, for example)
have quite different styles and different sensibilities.  It would
appear virtually certain that they were written by different people.

9. As for the names, poems do give slightly different names for the
same king.  The fact is, these names are not found in later times --
and the names Irumporai, Perunkatunkoo, Katunkoo do occur in Sangam
literature.

8. It is always possible to take issue, one by one, with items used to
establish chronology, especially in South Asia, where dating often
seems tenuous.  It is necessary to look over a whole system of
correlating evidence to arrive at a date.  In the case of Sangam
literature, surely there is so much evidence pointing to the first 3
centuries CE that the accepted dating becomes unassailable.

Yet it would appear that, however much it is flogged, this horse
refuses to die.

George Hart