Sanskrit Primers: R. Antoine's Sanskrit Manual

Stella Sandahl ssandahl at SYMPATICO.CA
Tue Jul 22 12:20:34 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,
Good old Antoine! I think it is still relatively easy to get copies
in India. Unfortunately, the one I used to have (in two volumes) was
printed in India and was very difficult to read because of the so
badly printed (and too small) devanagari script, not to speak of the
many printing errors. But it was - and remains - a very thorough
introduction to Sanskrit along with Kale's grammar (which suffers
from the same printing defects).
There seems to be an amazing array of published and unpublished
Sanskrit primers which I have been made aware of through kind
communications from many colleagues. Mille grazie! Personally I would
have liked to try out David Shulman's superb primer.  Unfortunately
it is in Hebrew, and the English translation is not yet out.  Maurer
caught my attention because it is amusing with chapters like "The
mysterious gerund" and "The Romance of compounds" apart from being
very well organized.
Coulson has too much transliteration, and since it is a teach-
yourself-book, there is a key to all the exercises which is counter-
productive in a class room. Killingley introduces the devanagari
script only in lesson 23. Here in Canada, where more than half (and
sometimes all) of the students are of Indian origin, a text book
using so much transliteration will be perceived as arrogant Western
neo-colonialism. And even the least gifted student usually learns the
script in two weeks - that's when I stop transliterating.

There is no ideal text book out there - but there are many very good
ones. All of them have their strong and weak points. As the grammar
doesn't change from one year the only thing an instructor can change
is the text book.
Best regards to all
Stella Sandahl

Stella Sandahl