request for info on ms of Jagadisi

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Mon Jul 21 16:21:39 UTC 2008

With permission, I am forwarding this query from Prof. Kamaleswar Bhattacharya on a ms of the Jagadisi that may be in the US.  It is NOT in LOC.  I think any ideas would be of interest to all of us, so please post any replies or comments to the list as well as to Prof. Bhattacharya himself.

Allen

Forwarded message (edited):

I would be most grateful if you would let me know whether you have any information about the collection of the late Mahamahopadhyaya Hara Prasad Sastri, which, apparently, was sold in the 1950s to some American individual or institution (Library of Congress?). I'm particularly interested in a unique manuscript of the Tika (Jagadisi) of Jagadisa Tarkalamkara on Raghunatha Siromani's Didhiti on Gangesa's Tattvacintamani, a manuscript dated 1532 Saka. ...

All I know for certain is that the manuscript is in Bengali script for it was written in Navadvipa itself. I assume that it is of the entire work and, therefore, quite large. Unfortunately, Dinesh Chandra Bhattacharya, who mentions it in his Bengali book on Navyanyaya, gives only the date, 1532 Saka, and does not mention any other detail. Until recently, I thought that it was in Bhattacharya's own collection and tried to trace that collection in India. Only a few weeks ago did I read in the late Mahamahopadhyaya Phanibhusana Tarkavagisa's Bangali book on Navyanyaya that the late Bhattacharya had consulted it in the late Mahamahopadhyaya Hara Prasad Sastri's Calcutta house (he had also a house in Dacca).

With best wishes

Kamaleswar Bhattacharya
<kamaleswar at hotmail.com>