Maurer and Killingley

Eli Franco franco at RZ.UNI-LEIPZIG.DE
Thu Jul 17 10:17:41 UTC 2008

Some weeks ago there was a discussion about a suitable Sanskrit primer
apropos of "The Sanskrit Language" by Walter Maurer. I was unable to examine
the book until today. In this regard, I would like to draw your attention to
another primer, which, I believe, is superior to Maurer's: Dermot
Killingley, Beginning Sanskrit.
 The course has three volumes, but the three together are cheaper than
 Maurer's two volumes. Maurer covers more grammar and has more vocabulary
 (about 20-25%), but Killingley has many more exercises, and is didactically
 much better. We have been successfully using Killingley in Vienna and
Leipzig for the last few years. I can recommend it very warmly.
Best wishes,
EF