Etymology of Bali, PiNDa

George Thompson gthomgt at COMCAST.NET
Thu Jul 17 01:32:59 UTC 2008

Dear George,

As I am sure that you know, these are much-discussed, controversial
words.  The link between Skt bali and Skt bala is very tentative, for
semantic reasons. Skt bali has no clear links with any IE words, and the
IE connections of bala with Grk beltion/beltistos [better,best] or Latin
de-bilis [powerless] are dubious.  Possible connections with Iranian
words of similar phonic shape and meaning are also very dubious.  There
is  much discussion of this in Mayrhofer's KEWA.  I do not have access
to the relevant portion of Mayrhofer's EWA at the moment, but I doubt
that there has been any significant change of view in EWA.

Since both bali and piNDa appear to lack any Indo-European or
Indo-Iranian cognates, it is reasonable to assume with Kuiper [Aryans in
the Rigveda, 1991] that they both are loan-words from some known or
unknown specifically Indic source, whether Dravidian or otherwise.
Kuiper has shown that there are roughly 380 words in the Rgveda
[already!] which appear to have no etymological kinship either in IE or
in Indo-Iranian languages!  And the vast majority of these words cannot
be linked to Dravidian as well!

It is certain in my view that the early Vedic Aryans did take some
important elements of their religion from non-Aryans, but it also seems
clear from Kuiper's evidence that much of this non-Aryan influence is
also non-Dravidian.

Best wishes,

George Thompson