HTML Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary (Version 0.3 - Release Candidate 1)

Richard MAHONEY r.mahoney at ICONZ.CO.NZ
Thu Jul 10 04:50:55 UTC 2008

Dear Madhav,

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 00:03, Deshpande, Madhav wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
>     Thanks for making available this version of the MW HTML.  As I
>  downloaded and looked at it, I see that the main word entrees are in
>  Harvard-Kyoto notation while the names of cited texts appear in full
>  diacritics (utf8?).  Is that by design?

Apologies for the delay in answering you. I've been a little bogged
down. The response to my note was a little greater than anticipated ...

Yes, using H-K rather than UTF-8 for the headwords and embedded Skt
terms was intentional. I've uploaded a screen shot of a typical page
viewed with the web browser Opera. The image is attached at the tail
end of the following page (`zams-opera.png'):

 HTML Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary (Version 0.3 - RC 1)

http://indica-et-buddhica.org/sections/news/repositorium/html-monier-williams

The primary and secondary headwords for `zaMs', and all the Skt terms
appearing within the body of the definition, are consistently
transliterated using H-K. They are also dark red for emphasis. I've
done this as most users, myself included, appear to prefer to search
for headwords using H-K. That said, I am also aware that there are a
good number of others who prefer UTF-8 so to suit them I have written
code that should be reasonably easy to modify.

If you look at the HTML source you will see that all Skt terms are
marked up in this manner:

It shouldn't be too difficult to write a script (Perl?) to convert
anything appearing between this class of span into UTF-8. If someone
would like to write such a thing then I would be happy to run it over
the final release so that both a Harvard-Kyoto and UTF-8 version is
available for download.

Kind regards,

 Richard

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: http://indica-et-buddhica.org/
Littledene      | telephone/telefax (man.): +64 3 312 1699
OXFORD, NZ      | email: r.mahoney at indica-et-buddhica.org
Indica et Buddhica: Materials for Indology and Buddhology
Scholia: http://scholia.indica-et-buddhica.org/
Tabulae: http://tabulae.indica-et-buddhica.org/