Sankara and the Authorship Issue

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Feb 26 21:04:51 UTC 2008

It's interesting to note that the meter of the Bhaja Govindam,
maatraasamaka, is identical to the earliest Tamil meter, akaval, which
is attested at the beginning of the common era and perhaps before.
The verb akavu means to sing or dance, and an akavanmakaL (akaval
woman) was a female bard who told the future.  One can suppose that
the meter was used by the PaaNan or bard caste (paN is the old Tamil
word for raaga) when they were performing, at which time they were
often possessed.  Like maatraasamaka, akaval is comprised of lines of
16 syllabic instants divided into groups of 4 each.  Akaval is an
extremely flexible and eloquent meter.  Because in Tamil some of the
long or shorts are made by position, it does not have the sing-song
rhythmic quality of the Sanskrit equivalent.  The Tamil meter is
adorned by many rhythmic and other enhancements that do not exist in
Sanskrit.