bhUmicchidra-nyAya

Benjamin Fleming fleming_b4 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 23 00:46:10 UTC 2008

Dear List,

Does anyone know of the earliest or early use of the concept/phrase:
bhUmicchidra-nyAya? This is a traditional property-law principle found on
land grants. In secondary literature, a common translation or explanation of
the phrase is, <<rent-free enjoyment of land by one who brings it under
cultivation for the first time>>. I have encountered it on plates issued by
the Buddhist king ZrIcandra, and know that its application extends beyond
this particular context. I am curious as to its employment during or prior
to the 10th century when ZrIcandra reined.

Also, any help with regards to secondary literature would be welcome. I am
familiar with some of Sircar's excellent work on inscriptions, but wonder if
something more recent has a discussion of this concept.

Best Wishes,

Benjamin Fleming