Kielhorn/Digital library

Oliver Hellwig hellwig7 at GMX.DE
Sat Feb 16 15:54:26 UTC 2008

A late addition to the discussion about a digital library. A few months
ago, I began designing a PHP/MySQL based interface for digital texts.
Other work interfered, therefore it is still in a really rudimentary
stage. A web-based interface for secondary literature would be really
great and could, for example, use this code as a starting point.

I think any web library should only offer scanned/digitalized versions of
texts; page images are not really useful because they are not searchable.
With some modifications and postprocessing, programs like FineReader can
recognize Indian texts printed in Latin letters and
German/English/French...- Sanskrit/Prakrit/... mixes found in secondary
literature, so creating digital versions instead of images should not be a
problem anymore.

Best, Oliver