Digital Kielhorn

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Fri Feb 15 15:56:48 UTC 2008

Am Freitag, den 15.02.2008, 14:06 +0100 schrieb Jonathan Silk:

> It appears that a number of things are scanned (badly, as far as I can see)
> on Gallica. But I cannot discover how to download other than a single page
> at a time. It seems that a large number of issues of JA for instance are
> available, but not articles one by one (?).

It may depend on which version of gallica you are using. There is
besides <http://gallica.bnf.fr> now a new beta version:
<http://gallica2.bnf.fr>.
The user interface of gallica2 has improved; it does not rely entirely
on PDF and provides above the text symbolic buttons for printing and
downloading (represented by a printer and floppy disk symbol). See e.g.
(that's Louis Finot: Les lapidaires indiennes)

> Am I doing something wrong?  (Secondarily, is it only that I have
> unrealistic standards, or are the scans on this site really lousy?)

Surely, this can be annoying. I have seen reproductions where Chinese
characters are mingled into one big black lump and this makes such
reproductions hardly usable. Perhaps, the people behind Gallica wanted
to prevent reprint publishers from using their materials for commercial
purposes.

bye
Peter Wyzlic
--
Abteilung für Indologie
Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften