Buddhacarita 1,1-7 and 25-40

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at UCLOUVAIN.BE
Sun Feb 10 18:15:40 UTC 2008

Thank you very much, dear Andrea Schlosser,
for what indeed seems to point to the author of
the reconstructed part given by Schotsman and in
the electronic version by the Sanskrit Buddhist
Input Project. This Chaudharii's edition
(A/svagho.sa-k.rta Buddhacaritam, with Hindi
Translation - I have not it at hand) appears to
have been reprinted several times in India (1953,
1955, etc.), even very recently, which, due to
such a popularity, may explain how its
reconstructed text has been reproduced at least
twice. Maybe somebody else could tell us if the
pandit Suryanaaraaya.na Chaudharii was a Tibetan
scholar, or was simply relying on Johnston's
translation.
Best wishes,
Christophe Vielle

>Dear Christophe Vielle,
>
>unfortunately i'm not allowed to post messages into the list.
>therefore i'm sending you this email directly.
>
>Irma Schotsman, A/svagho.sa's Buddhacarita, 1995, p.ii,
>referring to 1,1-10, 25-40; 2.1-35:
>“Regarding canto I, /slokas 1-10 and 25-40: the
>ones that are printed in this book are derived
>from the Tibetan by Mr. Suryanaaraaya.na
>Chaudharii, who published a Hindi translation of
>the Buddhacarita in 1942. For canto II, /slokas
>1-35 are copied from E.B. Cowell's text."
>
>If this reconstruction is serious i can't tell.
>
>In Johnston's edition both 1,1-7 and 25-40 are missing.
>
>Hope this has helped you.
>Kind regards,
>
>Andrea Schlosser
>
>--
>Andrea Schlosser | Studentische Hilfskraft
>Institut für die Sprachen und Kulturen Südasiens
Königin-Luise-Str. 34 a | 14195 Berlin www.fu-berlin.de/bajaur-collection

Yes, that I know, but the reconstructed text I am
referring here is not at all the Am.rtaananda's
one (about whom, cf. also C. Vogel, IIJ 14, 1972,
pp. 214-217) included by S. Lévi and E.B. Cowell
in their respective editions. I am talking here
about the reconstructed text which has been made
by "someone" on the basis of Johnston's work and
the Tibetan version.
Christophe Vielle