help sought to indetify mandukavasanja

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 29 08:53:23 UTC 2008

I haven't seen your passage and so can't judge, but how about simply
taking the expression literally: `ointment prepared with the fat of a
frog' ? Such an ointment might have the magical effect of confounding
the senses.

Such magical ointments involving frog's fat (of frog's marrow?) are
prepared (though for rather different magical goals) in the
Ma~nju"sriimuulakalpa (chapter 41 after verse 3), in the Artha"saastra
(14.2), in the Tantrasadbhaavatantra (in a prose section between
23.276 and 277 in Mark Dyczkowski's e-text), in Garu.dapura.na
1.182.13, in K.semendra's Kalaavilaasa 9.12,
and in chapter 3 of the Guhyasuutra of the Ni"svaasatattvasa.mhitaa
(where frog's fat is to be combined with a chameleon that has been
buried for a month and with sharp oil (i.e. mustard-seed oil?) and
then rubbed on the legs to enable one to go great distances and return
before sunset):

tata.h karmma prakurviita g.rhiitvaa k.rkalaa"sakam|
bhaa.n.dasthan nikhaned bhuumau mantre.naivaabhimantritam|| 3:48||
maase puur.n.ne samaaddh.rtya ma.n.duukava"sayaa yutam|
ka.tutailavi<<liptan tu>> "satadhaa caabhimantritam|| 3:49||
paadapralepa.m k.rtvaa tu gacchate pa~nca pa~nca vaa|
<<anastamitamaaditye>> punar aagacchate drutam|| 3:50||

Perhaps the source of your passage is "Slokavaarttika, spho.tavaada 43 ?

SPH41ab madhura.m tiktaruupe.na "sveta.m piitatayaa tathaa
SPH41cd g.rh.nanti pittado.se.na vi.saya.m bhraantacetasa.h ||
SPH42ab tathaa vegena dhaavanto naavyaaruu.dhaa"s ca gacchata.h
SPH42cd parvataadiin vijaananti bhrame.na bhramata"s ca taan ||
SPH43ab ma.n.duukavasayaaktaak.saa va.m"saanuragabuddhibhi.h
SPH43cd vyaktyalpatvamahattvaabhyaa.m saamaanya.m ca tadaa"srtayam ||
SPH44ab g.rh.nanti yadvadetaani nimittagraha.naad vinaa
SPH44cd vya~njakasthamabudhvaiva vya"ngye bhraantir bhavi.syati ||

Dominic Goodall
Pondicherry Centre,
Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient ("French School of Asian Studies"),