Spoken / modern Sanskrit

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Thu Aug 21 22:01:46 UTC 2008

I have followed the multi-threaded 'modern Sanskrit' discussion with
interest, and here come my two cents' worth on a few of the issues that
were raised --

1. Indian census reports: they are certainly useful, but they cannot be
taken seriously literally (cf. the strangely large number of listed
languages spoken in India by one single person, or the number of castes
with only one member). The census merely records what people claim about
themselves. If someone claims to be a Sanskrit mother tongue speaker,
nobody will check to see whether this person has made a truthful
statement. Hence also the bizarre fluctuations in the numbers of
Sanskrit speakers from one census to the next.

2. Mother tongue speakers of Sanskrit:  I know persons who have claimed
they are. These persons are simply Kannada speakers with a special love
of Sanskrit, and they want Sanskrit to figure in the census reports.
Surely the same applies to the vast majority of others (if not all of
them) who have claimed the same.

3. The 'Sanskrit-speaking village in Karnataka': this is something of a
hoax; but as long as wishful thinking among romantics persists, queries
about the village and claims that it exists will also persist. I know of
a college teacher of Sanskrit (real Sanskrit) in Bangalore who is from
that place, and he finds it rather embarrassing to say where he is from.

4. Politics: regrettably, the activities of organizations like Akshara
have a polarizing effect. Some persons feel attracted, others feel
repelled by the political message. In one issue of their monthly
magazine, years back, I read an ultra-short story about a woman who had
lost her three sons in a war with Pakistan, and when asked whether she
was sad, she replied: "yes, I am sad that I could not send more sons to
give their lives for the sake of the motherland". This more or less
illustrates the general atmosphere.

5. Dead or not: the popularity of Sanskrit as an exam subject in high
schools, in my own observation, is that it is thought to be (and
apparently indeed is) a way to score high marks and thus raise the final
average. And this is precisely because practically nobody (teachers
included) considers Sanskrit a language of which active mastery is
required or even desirable. The popular view is that it is quite dead,
only spoken by respectable priests and pundits, and by a few less
respectable dazed political right-wingers. I have heard reports of a
renowned American Sanskritist [name suppressed] who travelled through
Karnataka and Goa and wanted to speak Sanskrit to just about everybody
he met. He could; but he was barely understood, and those who could
answer in Sanskrit could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

6. Eternal intelligibility: the same applies to other dead languages,
esp. Latin, Europe's equivalent to Sanskrit (for a passionate plea to
revive the active use of Latin, see the recent bestselling book [!] by
Wilfried Stroh, _Latein ist tot, es lebe Latein!_).

7. Usefulness: it can be really useful to speak some Sanskrit. More than
once I have been in a situation where the only language in which I could
communicate with a person (these persons were always scholars or temple
priests) was Sanskrit even if in Karnataka it is, let us say, enhanced
with Kannada, and in Pondicherry with Tamil and Telugu and English. The
obvious reason for these additions is that Sanskrit is so little spoken
that no uniform vocabulary for terms from modern and everyday life has
developed. If one compares bilingual X-Sanskrit dictionaries, one finds
that the compilers either declare neo-Sanskritic words from language X
to be Sanskrit, or they think up new words (words that may become
current in a geographically limited area, if at all).

8. Future: who knows? In the first issue of the Münchener Indologische
Zeitschrift (to appear later this year), an interview in Sanskrit will
appear which I did with a senior scholar in Udupi. This is an
experiment, and I hope that it will actually be read. The man's Sanskrit
is delightful: real (not the simplified stuff) and alive. The experiment
aims at (a) creating an awareness that Sanskrit is still used, (b)
encouraging people to help revive Sanskrit, so that it may become a
medium of scholarly communication that eliminates the language barriers
between various non-Indian and traditional Indian scholars.

Finally, for those who are interested: a few years ago I have written an
article about the imperishability of Sanskrit, and its modern use:
"Sanskrit: Ewige Sprache der Götter, wiedergeboren und noch immer da,"
in P. Schrijver and P. Mumm (eds.), _Sprachtod und Sprachgeburt._
Bremen: Hempen Verlag, 2004, pp. 278-300.

RZ

--
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Department fuer Asienstudien - Institut fuer Indologie und Tibetologie