Kadamba

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Aug 20 19:51:49 UTC 2008

Actually, there's quite a bit of help around.  The publications out of the
group at the AVS Kottakkal, including Indira Balachandran, V. V. Sivarajan
and others, are excellent, have pictures, are multilingual, and are
historically well-informed.  In the introduction to my Roots of Ayurveda
book - sorry for mentioning my own work - I discuss these issues of plant
identification, and give a condensed reading list of the works I have in
my library and that I have found extremely helpful.  Since Roots came out,
the website http://botanicus.org has arisen that offers simply amazing
historical resources, and links to nomenclature databases. One can
download the whole of Hortus Malabaricus.  It's staggering!

There will always remain some difficult cases, and your "snap" example is
wonderful, and just the sort of historical data that needs to be brought
to the surface.  There's always more research to be done.  But there is a
mass of valuable publications out there already that answer very many
questions.  Just Kirtikar and Basu is already a great starting point.

Our colleague Roelf Barkhuis has told me that his company will be
publishing something substantial in exactly this area in the not too
distant future.

Best,
Dominik

--