Kadamba

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Aug 20 18:35:02 UTC 2008

Isaac Murchie, a graduate student in our department, was good enough
to point out what I should have said -- and that of course is the
Pendanus db (http://iu.ff.cuni.cz/pandanus/database/).  For Tamil, it
is sometimes quite useful, but it lacks many of the old names (kaLLi,
vaLLai, veTci to name a few) and seems to be more based on modern
plant names (e.g. for konRai it gives konnai, which is colloquial).
Still, it's a good start and a great timesaver when it works.  I
especially like the links to Google images.  Someday, one hopes, it
will become more complete and include citations from texts -- and
discussion where the identification is in doubt.  Meanwhile, it's a
fine start and represents a lot of work.  George Hart