Kadamba

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at UCLOUVAIN.BE
Wed Aug 20 07:56:58 UTC 2008

It remains interesting to note through this
wonderful tool Pandanus database that

Mitragyna parvifolia Korth. = Stephegyne
parvifolia [contra parvi"-flora" Apte] S.Vidal,
same Rubiaceae family as Anthocephalus chinensis
= skt kadamba but in this case identified with
Skt vitaana
see: http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=Mitragyna+parvifolia

is identified with Tamil ka.tampai, niirkka.tampu
(same in Malayaa.lam), ci_n_nakka.tampu, Mal.
roosu ka.tampu or viimpu,
which means, on the basis of this "sub-variety"
Dravidian lexical classification, that Apte's
identification is not wrong at all, and that two
(close) plants remain possible in this case.

Christophe Vielle

--

http://belgianindology.lalibreblogs.be