Kadamba

Whitney Cox wmcox at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Aug 20 09:24:39 UTC 2008

As a sidelight to Prof. Hart's comment on Ta. ka.tampu => Skt.
kadamba, it's perhaps worth noting that the southwestern
dynasty that call themselves the Kadambas (with the dental, as
far as I know) are referred to by their contemporaries and
rivals as the Ka.dambas, with the retroflex.  See for instance
the Kauthem plates of Vikramaaditya V (1009 CE, ed. Fleet IA
Jan. 1887), ln. 9:

kavalitanalalak.smiir durjayaurjityahaarii
vihatap.rthuka.dambaa.dambaro mauryanirjit

A Sanskrit poet of the eleventh century would presumably have
referred to the flower as kadamba, but reserves the more
Dravidian spelling for the proper noun.