Birds in Sanskrit Literature

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.PLUS.COM
Fri Aug 15 01:11:42 UTC 2008

Thanks for the prompt replies.

G.J. Meulenbeld wrote:

> All the sources mentioned on kaara.n.dava agree that the cakravaaka is the
> ruddy sheldrake, Tadorna ferruginea (Pallas), described in vol. 1,
> 141--144 of the work by S. Ali and S.D. Ripley.

The information provided tends to confirm my suspicions: the text I am
studying has multiple authorship, with one person treating kaara.n.dava as a
distinct bird, and another person who definiteley identifies kaara.n.dava
with cakravaaka, going so far as to refer to "sa.mvaasa-kaara.n.da" after
the well-known myth about cakravaalas.

Many thanks,

Stephen Hodge