Birds in Sanskrit Literature

G.J. Meulenbeld meulnbld at XS4ALL.NL
Thu Aug 14 10:00:51 UTC 2008

Dear colleague,

Information on the identities of the kaara.n.dava and cakravaaka is
available in my "A history of Indian medical literature", vol. IB, p.43,
n.588 and p.46--47, n.611.

Dave (299--301) identifies it as the coot. The Caraka translations of  the
Gulabkunverba team and by R.K. Sharma and Bhagwan Dash simply say goose
without any specification. P.V. Sharma's translation has white-fronted
goose; the same name is employed by P. Ray and H.N. Gupta in their Caraka
Sa.mhitaa (A scientific synopsis).
The white-fronted goose, Anser albifrons albifrons (Scopoli), however, is
described as a sparse and rare winter visitor in northwest and northern
India by S. Ali and S.D. Ripley in their "Handbook of the birds of India and
Pakistan" (I, 126--128).

All the sources mentioned on kaara.n.dava agree that the cakravaaka is the
ruddy sheldrake, Tadorna ferruginea (Pallas), described in vol. 1, 141--144
of the work by S. Ali and S.D. Ripley.

Caraka regards the two birds as distinct.

With best wishes and regards,

G. Jan Meulenbeld
De Zwaan 11
9781 JX Bedum