Spoken Sanskrit

Maheswaran Nair swantam at ASIANETINDIA.COM
Thu Aug 14 11:00:55 UTC 2008

Dear list,
I agree that Sanskrit teachers and students should surely learn to
fluently communicate in Sanskrit. The present state (especialyy in
Kerala)is deplorable.
Objection is against utilising Sanskrit for "other" purposes.
Hindutvavadins have specific agenda behind popularising Sanskrit. They
have brought out many books among which a small one entitled
"Samskrtam vada aadhuniko bhava"(published from Aluva, Kerala)
contains their sectarian approach.They consider Sanskrit only as the
cultural language of India which is far from truth. They paste
everywhere a poster which reads "Samskrtam bharatasya
samskrtikabhasha". What about other Indian languages? Making use of
Sanskrit in place of Ramakshetra for demolishing Babrimasjid is
objectionable.
You know what happened in Gujarat. First the poster containing AUM was
pasted in front of houses of Hindus as a distinguishing mark for the
convenience of Hindu rioteers before "action". My humble doubt and
fear is that Sanskrit will be used as a "marker" in the coming
years.Let it not happen.
Regards
K.Maheswaran Nair