Spoken Sanskrit and Spoken Sanskrit

hhhock hhhock at EXPRESS.CITES.UIUC.EDU
Wed Aug 13 15:31:11 UTC 2008

The thread on spoken Sanskrit has been very interesting, and some
points strike me as quite a propos. First, I don't see any problems
with neologisms. Even if we ignore the sometimes controversial
examples of supposed Dravidian borrowing in early Vedic and the much
less controversial ones in later Vedic and post-Vedic (such as
niira-), or the late borrowings from North Indian languages in late
Sanskrit texts, there is evidence for borrowing at many other stages,
and in many different spheres (consider e.g. (tri-)koNa, horaa and
the like, from Greek). Moreover, if Sanskrit is to be used in a
modern context, not only to discuss fine points of philosophy or
grammar, it has to be modernized to make it possible to talk about
trains, apples, and the like (and hybrids like relayaana strike me as
much more felicitous than words such as agniratha(...)yaana). There
is a problem, however, as far as the lexicon goes, namely the whole-
scale importation of Sanskrit-derived Hindi, Marathi, etc. words into
Sanskrit, with their modern meanings, rather than the use of
established Sanskrit words (consider the use of aarambha instead of
utsava in the Hindi-speaking area). While Sanskrit needs to be
modernized, it does not need to be intellectualized, thank you; it
always has been perfectly capable to deal with intellectual issues.

Second, I agree that the kind of spoken Sanskrit that is being
propagated by Hindutva organizations is grammatically, lexically, and
intellectually without merit, not far removed from a pidgin form of
the language. The fact that it does not provide a useful entry to the
full form of the language, as found in the philosophical, religious,
and literary tradition of India (not to speak of the vast range of
technical literature), supports the view that the motivation for this
enterprise is not to connect modern Indians with their traditions but
to give Hindus (or better: Hindutvavaadins) a false, manufactured
sense of identity. (I should add that the founders of this movement,
such as Krishna Shastri, had a much fuller grasp of the language and
spoke it very well.)

Best wishes,

Hans

On 13 Aug 2008, at 9:27, George Hart wrote:

> [...]
>> vernacular 'loan-words' and shoddy, Hindi- or Marathi-based
>> grammatical forms. This is  just the tip of the iceberg. Moreover,
>> contemporary spoken Sanskrit is quite obviously and self-
>> consciously a simplification of classical Sanskrit, and this has
>> been done in order for the language to be more accessible and
>> appealing to young, twenty-first century students, who WOULD like
>> to express their thoughts about riding the bus, eating apples,
>> using computers, and other modern-day activities. It's actually
>> quite a fun thing to do.
>>
>> One must, it is true, engage in this linguistic practice knowing
>> full well that what one is speaking is a hybridized and simplified
>> form of the classical parole, and this I think is where some of
>> the Hindu nationalist ideological projects are indeed harmful, as
>> Prof. Nair points out, in representing spoken Sanskrit to the
>> Indian public as being both authentic and Hindu. What's most
>> disturbing to me about the Hindu spoken Sanskrit movement is not
>> how the language is treated, but how many textbooks attempt to
>> naturalize (and nationalize) upper-caste, puritanical Hindu
>> practices through language teaching.
>>
>> On the other hand, may I respectfully suggest that the idea that
>> the ancientness of Sanskrit somehow debilitates this language from
>> accepting neologisms, or makes it useless for expressing modern
>> ideas, itself might be construed as an act of intellectual
>> violence on par with 'cutting throats', 'demolishing mosques', or
>> 'raping nuns'? Clearly, as scholars of classical Sanskrit, we have
>> an obligation to continue to teach students how to read and
>> understand kAlidAsa, bANa, or perhaps even the magisterial
>> ZrIharSa--but can this teaching not occur side-by-side with an
>> acceptance of a consciously different register of the Sanskrit
>> language, albeit contrived and manufactured, for contemporary,
>> everyday usage? Perhaps the latter might serve as a kind of
>> gateway for the former?
>>
>> with best regards,
>>
>> Adheesh
>> --
>> Dr. Adheesh Sathaye
>> Department of Asian Studies
>> University of British Columbia
>> 408 Asian Centre
>> 1871 West Mall
>> Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
>> 604.822.5188
>> adheesh at interchange.ubc.ca
>>

>> On Aug 13, 2008, at 8:49 , Stella Sandahl wrote:
>>

>>> It is very sad to se how the ignorant Hindutva forces demean and
>>> make the wonderful classical language into something trivial and
>>> ridiculous. How do we stop them?
>>> How can we rescue Sanskrit from these vandals? I doubt that the
>>> sevaphalAni-eating student in his mahala can read and understand
>>> even one line by Kalidasa or Bana or Jayadeva.
>>> But he can cut the throat of those who cannot speak his so called
>>> Sanskrit. When he is not busy demolishing mosques and raping nuns.

>>> Tel. (416) 978-4295