Spoken Sanskrit

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Aug 11 14:07:05 UTC 2008

I myself once encountered someone from Karnataka who lived in the
village where "Sanskrit" is spoken.  It was a dumbed-down language not
much resembling (in my opinion) the eloquent tongue used by Kalidasa
and Sankara -- or even the epics.  It dispenses with such frills as
the dual and many verb forms.  I asked him if he had read Sanskrit
literature -- poetry, darsana, whatever.  He seemed nonplussed by the
question -- he spoke Sanskrit; why should he read Kalidasa?  I felt he
was entirely ignorant of the intellectual grandeur and scope of the
language and spoke it (or his version of it) merely to make a
statement.  I would remark parenthetically that the use of Sanskrit in
a Malayalam historical novel I once read -- including 3-line Sanskrit
compounds -- was far more sophisticated than this "Sanskrit" speaker
could have managed.  If he had studied the literature of Kannada --
which I suspect was his real native language -- his Sanskrit would
certainly have been much better.  George Hart